Richard HuckabyRichard_Huckaby.htmlRichard_Huckaby.htmlshapeimage_1_link_0
Jesse DixonJesse_Dixon.htmlJesse_Dixon.htmlshapeimage_2_link_0
Harrington BarnHarrington_Barn.htmlHarrington_Barn.htmlshapeimage_3_link_0
Nathan DixonNathan_Dixon.htmlNathan_Dixon.htmlshapeimage_4_link_0
McIntosh BarnMcIntosh_Barn.htmlMcIntosh_Barn.htmlshapeimage_5_link_0
Joseph MatthewsJoseph_Matthews.htmlJoseph_Matthews.htmlshapeimage_6_link_0
Archibald CameronArchibald_Cameron.htmlArchibald_Cameron.htmlshapeimage_7_link_0
Alan CameronAlan_Cameron.htmlAlan_Cameron.htmlshapeimage_8_link_0
HOMEHOME.htmlHOME.htmlshapeimage_9_link_0
Edwin PattersonEdwin_Patterson.htmlEdwin_Patterson.htmlshapeimage_10_link_0
 


The first Quaker missionaries arrived on America’s shores in 1656. Originally called The Friends Church, they were welcomed in Rhode Island which had been founded as a haven from the intolerance of Puritan Massachusetts. They were also well received in Maryland, Virginia, and in 1657 missionaries landed on Long Island.


In 1681 William Penn accepted the grant of land which became Pennsylvania as the payment of a debt which King Charles II owed his father. Penn landed in his colony on the good ship “Welcome” in 1682.


Pennsylvania was Penn’s “Holy Experiment,” his attempt to apply the Christian principles held by the Friends to the practical business of government.


When the Founding Fathers met in the latter part of the 1700’s to write the constitution that would design the government of the United States, they turned to William Penn’s Frame of Government for Pennsylvania.

Cane Creek Quaker Meeting was established in 1751 in Orange County (now Alamance County), North Carolina, and the New Garden Meeting was established in 1754 in Guilford County. In the twenty year period 1750 - 1770 Quaker settlements were established in numerous areas in both North and South Carolina.

For more information on the Quaker Church:

The Quaker Church